Monday, January 23, 2006

Old Rockers

So this is gonna sound weird because I’ve never listened to a single song by this artist that I can recall.

But Neil Diamond’s new CD – 12 Songs – is one hell of a record.

My dad introduced me to it over Christmas break. He said all of these old rockers are hitting mid-life and getting sentimental. They’ve spent their lives looking all over for the meaning of life. For Truth. Peace. Love.

In many ways, I feel like I’ve already had my mid-life crisis. It’s odd, really. I’m only half way there in terms of years, but considering all my life experiences, I feel far older than my years suggest.

Perhaps it’s a curse. Perhaps it’s a blessing. But I feel like I know exactly what Neil is singing about. It’s been a long and winding road that has led me thru the first 25 years of my life. I am unsure of where the road takes me now.

Of how it will unfold. Will it unfurl straight out in front of me for as long as I can see? Or will it take a sharp turn not a few yards out? Somehow, I get the feeling it will be the latter. I’m not sure I would want it any other way, to be honest.

Would you?

Think about it – would you want an ordinary and predictable road for all the days of your life?

Oh, and my personal favorite on the CD?

“Hell Yeah”

5 comments:

S. said...

My dad worked for the same engineering company for 35 years; his father worked in the same factory for 42. Me, I'm 38 and somewhere between my second career and my third. Some of the forks in the road are great, some not so, but--it's always an adventure!

S. said...

BTW, Neil Diamond has a lot of great songs, no doubt.

J C said...

exactly - and don't get me wrong, security is a great thing. having a secure job, secure finances, secure relationships - all wonderful things. it's just that a lot of people really work hard to secure all of this stuff - when really, we have very little control over what happens. maybe i work hard to get high on the corporate ladder, but the company goes under? what if i work hard on a relationship, but then that person gets terminal cancer?

eh, not sure what i'm trying to say, but to enjoy the turns and forks.

morbid misanthrope said...

I've been listening to The Band's "The Last Waltz" a bit lately. Maybe because it's just great performance after great performance, but I think, because it was The Band's last concert, it's got sentimental value as well. I haven't had nearly as many experiences as you, but I think that when a person becomes retrospective or undergoes major changes in their lives, certain music becomes extremely meaningful. It always has for me, anyway. See, death metal isn't the only music I like.

My life has been changing quite a bit lately, and while I'd like to get a bit philosophical about it, I've been pulling all nighters at the new job for the last couple of days and would rather take a power nap before I have to go back to the office. Another interesting post as always; cheers.

J C said...

morbid - very true about music taking on significant meanings for people. there are many, many songs that i have attached very specific events, people, or places to. some are painful, some are joyous, but all of them are meaningful and have a place in making me who i am today. i understand life changing dramatically for you - same for me here lately. roll with it and see where it takes you.

JT - exactly right. even though i've had some painful experiences in my life, all of them have been meaningful and all have molded me into the person i am today. while i feel, deep down, like the same guy i was when i was 16 or 19 or 23...the edges have been rounded and shaped a little bit by all that i've gone thru. at the time, pain can seem unbearable, but the sun will rise again, and another day will give you more perspective and more learning about yourself. sometimes....you just have to leave the familiar and head out into the unknown - with no idea where it may take you. it's something i'm struggling with here now.