Wednesday, March 01, 2006

A Choice


For some time now, I have been frozen by the grip of Indecision. Unsure of what to do, where to go, and what to make of my life.

Perhaps this is not the right decision. Perhaps this path will be short-lived. Who knows? Until you try?

But come late March, I will be off to Rome. I will embark on a path and become certified to teach English as a Foreign Language. Ever since my Spring Break trip there during junior year in high school, I have been in love with Italy. My journey this past summer only reaffirmed what I already felt.

Her glory. Her beauty. Her mystique.

Part of me wants to live there and experience her culture. I want to finally learn the Italian language. I want to immerse myself in the art and architecture and deep history of that place.

Part of me wants to teach. I want to influence young lives in the best way that I can and I want the freedoms that come with being a teacher. I want to coach. This will give me an avenue into that.

And part of me feels like there is nothing left for me here right now. I feel alone - standing against the horizon, with the weight of love, disappointment, loss and beauty pressing down on my shoulders.

Thomas Wolfe said that you can never go home again. Even though I love his writing, and even though he’s a fellow North Carolina graduate, I tend to disagree with him on that.

I think you can go home again. And I think that home can be any number of places. My heart loves this place that I am in right now – the place I grew up in. It loves Chapel Hill just as passionately.

But I think it may be time for another stage to begin. I don’t want to leave my family. My friends. Tara or Nicole. Or my little niece, Victoria. I don’t want to miss Tar Heel basketball. I would love to be in Chapel Hill with all my friends and live it up.

However, sometimes, you just have a feeling.

I may stay for 3 months. I may stay for 3 years. I do not know where the path turns next. In truth, I am terrified. You could say that I have something of a fear of commitment. I had serious problems signing the lease to the townhouse that me and 6 of my college boys stayed in our senior year.

So, to say that I struggled with putting the $500 deposit down for this course would be an understatement. But several weeks ago I finally heard from a mutual friend who did this same thing and recommended this particular company. And the last few weeks at church, the messages have been about seizing the day, trusting in the Father, and asking yourself the right questions.

Do not ask “how?” “How?” is a question for skeptics. A question for the timid. I will not be timid. “How?” is God’s domain. That’s the question for him to answer.

Rather, ask yourself “What?” As in what do you want? What will make you come alive? What is it that your heart cries out for? That is our domain.

I want to live in Italy. Among the glory of Rome, the beautiful structures, the undeniable history, the romance.

I want to act. Not for the fame or the money. Actually, I think I’d rather dislike the fame. But stepping into and out of different situations, people, and places is quite a bit of fun. I want to explore different stories – I want to be part of them. Oh, how I love it.

So my life is set to change dramatically very soon. I know a few people who will be in that part of the world. Perhaps our paths will cross. Perhaps not.

This should be interesting.

10 comments:

Christa said...

AGH! I just did this once but somehow I lost it. I said, "I'm with ya, babe, every step of the way. Albeit in spirit. And some of the best decisions you'll ever make in your life will be the toughest. Like for example, I am taking steps to quit my job. Can't do it right now without declaring bankruptcy, but I'm going to take my daughter out of daycare and my husband and I are going to work around each other. We're going to cut corners where we can and when the time is right, its hasta la vista, baby. But just deciding that not working is what I really want- and something to work towards- that's tough. Not all of us can bee-bop off to Rome for God knows how long. I am really, truly very happy for you and you'll always know where to find me. I did post today. My sabbatical obviously shortlived.

morbid misanthrope said...

Congratulations. Why not go for it? It will be interesting to say the least.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
-- Mark Twain

Blueprincesa said...

I'm glad you decided to do it, J. I think you'll have some wonderful adventures. And I hope you don't mind me commenting even though I told you I didn't want anywone I knew reading my blog anymore. It doesn't matter-- nobody stopped. But this was a beautiful, honest post, so I had to say something. Buena suerte.

The Doctor said...

Good on ya, J. Don't think about the worst that could happen, but rather the reality of what is likely. Sure, you will have days (especially early on) when you feel homesick and alone, with few friends close by, but remember who guides you to make these choices. He knows you inside and out. He knows how to get to your heart better than you do yourself. And He wants you to truly Live. So few people really ever do.
Maybe I'll find you in Rome later this year or next- dinner's on me.

palomita said...

J, I'm planning a trip down to Italy late spring or early summer, and it would be great to have a local tour guide! I'd be happy to return the favor in London anytime you come up this way.

S. said...

Another great adventure. Before you go you might enjoy The Count of Monte Cristo. Some interesting scenes at the Coliseum and various underground catacombs.... Teaching is great, by the way.

Memphis said...

Strange things happen sometimes. You leave home and when you try to come back again you find it gone. It's the weirdest feeling. Sometimes there is no going back. But that's not always a bad thing.

J C said...

christa - i've never met ya, but i sure do appreciate you as much as any of my "real life" friends. ha. thank you for the support and encouragement. i understand wanting to make the PEOPLE in your life more important than the THINGS in your life. at the end, that is what will define us. i'm proud of you for trying to take your daughter out of daycare and spend more time with your husband. i admire that.

morbid - "interesting" is a good word, i think. it conveys a bit of mystery, without really revealing whether the mystery is good or bad. it could be either. which i think holds true here. nevertheless...somedays i simply cannot wait for this to begin. others, i simply cannot understand what i was thinking when i signed up. oh yea, and good quote.

blue - i hope you don't think that i'd ever mind you commenting. thank you for the kind words. and i hope that you're right about the adventures.

dennis - very true words, my friend. "And He wants you to truly Live. So few people really ever do." i couldn't have said it any better. and i'm in for dinner.

dovie - sounds like we got ourselves a plan!! assuming i actually am able to find my way around The Eternal City, my services are yours. and i promised myself, after leaving London only a day after i arrived there last summer, that i'd visit again, for a much longer amount of time. so you would come in handy.

steven - "another great adventure". let's hope so, buddy, let's hope so. really amazing how you mentioned "The Count". that's my dad's like all-time favorite movie, and i just made a back-up copy for myself to take along with me. i will be sure to watch before i go, though. i think i'll enjoy teaching. i volunteered at an elementary school in Chapel Hill during my last semester and loved it.

steve - you make good points. things change, even when we do not want them to. i've experienced what you speak of, though it wasn't with a place - it was with a girl. i guess all we can do is listen to our hearts and minds and make a decision. even if it's wrong, it may not be bad.

everyone - thanks for your words of wisdom. i'm just winging this whole thing, and appreciate all the little measures of guidance along the way. i will post more, but it may be a little hectic around here getting ready for this change.

The Doctor said...

if you like the movie, you will "love" the book; I recommend the unabridged version. All sorts of details that are fabulously intricate in the web of the count's plan for revenge. Truly a masterpiece of fiction...

S. said...

D=you said it.
J-guess who had a cousin who taught at UNC? Yep. Old Archibald Henderson, I believe he was, died sometime in the last 20 years. And we never met...my strain of the Hendersons left NC a while back . . . to join the fight for Texas independence. The Boone brothers, Daniel and Squire, were persuasive that way. We never left... Anyway, when my mom told me about it, I thought of you.