Friday, September 09, 2005

Silly Canadians


You know what the strangest thing was that I found in Europe? Well, perhaps it wasn't THE strangest - but unquestionably odd. Every single Canadian that I ever came across had some sort of Canadian symbol on the back of his or her pack. All of 'em. Either a flag, or "British Columbia" or "UBC" or "CANADA". Something, anything.

It's as if they are so desperate for their own identity, that they have to try really really hard to get others to see where they're from. Do Canadians have any sort of international identity? I'm not sure - but the more I've made myself aware of this little situation, the more I doubt it.

I almost found myself embarrrassed for them. Why would anyone have such a need to identify themselves to all who walk behind them? Then a feeling began to rise up in me - a desire to get "AMERICA" embroidered right across the back of my pack. In big frickin' bold letters. And in red. But I began to realize that this was simply a reaction to all the Canadian symbols. It wasn't really a true desire to embroider that on the back of my pack - but rather a swelling of pride amongst the other national identities.

We are not perfect - we Americans. Our political system gives us only 2 choices for president every 4 years. But we do vote. And we vote for the majority of our government's members. County, City, State and Federal. We may be a country divided by politics in the current era. But when a tragedy like 9/11 happens, or Hurricane Katrina, we pull in together - as if a group of wild animals protecting each other from a predator.

God gives the strong their strength so that they may protect the weak. I think that's one of the things I like most about America. It doesn't go perfectly every single time - nothing ever does. Sometimes the planning is faulty, sometimes the execution. But we try to protect the weak.

God Bless America.

No comments: