Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The Day After

The following day nothing was made of the night before. Monday was upon us, so finally things would be done about Amanda's money and passport situations. Later in the afternoon Western Union had "my" money ready, since I was the one who had to pick it up, since I was the only one with a passport.

The girl got us lost on more than one occassion and I got us found just as many times. By now it was pretty obvious to both of us that something was happening between us, but it seemed as if neither her nor I wanted to talk about it.

With Amanda's departure becoming more and more inevitable, we both savored the time we had and enjoyed all the moments. We ate dinner at a small restaraunt up above the city after watching the sun set slowly and poetically across Granada from the Mirador.

We met Jeremy and Bridget that night for a Flamenico show. I paid my 10 dollars, er, Euros, and walked thru the doorway and down a declining hall. At the end of the hall was a room no larger than 30 feet by 12 feet. A tunnel.

This is where the show is?!?

The place had room for maybe 30 people. Somehow much more than that crammed in there in addition to the performers. This was not a place to hold any type of performance. Space was tight. Sight lines were obstructed. It was a million degrees. Literally - I stood there, not moving a muscle for 2 or 3 hours and I never stopped sweating. EVER.

Towards the end of the show I felt like I was going to lose it. Hot. Claustrophobic. Annoyed. Bored.

I had to get out and I did - I walked out without telling any of the others. The show ended soon after and we met outside. Relief.

Amanda was leaving the following day so that night she and I went to our spot from a night ago. But not before being kicked off the roof terrace. We talked and flirted some more, only exponentially more so than the previous night.

Things escalated and a kiss was only the beginning of what happened that night. Privacy is obviously difficult to come by in a hostel, so improvisations were made.

But I'm not one to kiss and tell. I'll only say this - we perhaps did move a little too quickly given the short time we'd known each other. But things could have escalated a lot more than they did. Facing the reality of our situation, I realized that I was not ready for her to go. But what can you do?

Sometimes, there is nothing to do. Only to accept the things to which fate binds you.

13 comments:

morbid misanthrope said...

Adventures in travel, to say the least.

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

What the hell is that picture above me, and why is it scaring the hell out of me? Scary, bad, bad, very bad. Ewww. I no like that.

J C said...

hah....that would be morbid - quite the character, huh steph?

The Doctor said...

"But I'm not one to kiss and tell." and yet you have. Haven't you?
And by the way, you don't seem to me to be one who believes in "fate." Is that just an expression?

live your life to the fullest, J, and always remember from whence it comes...

J C said...

dennis - good point, my friend

perhaps i did, in fact, kiss and tell
maybe i should have said "i'm not one to do MORE than kiss, and tell"

and actually, i believe in fate wholeheartedly
why did you assume i do not?

i'm tryin to live my life to its fullest - it's just difficult knowing which path to take, for me anyway

The Doctor said...

maybe I just thought you believed more in "Providence" than "fate," but then maybe you define them similarly. On a philosophical note fate is the inevitable that has been determined by the stars, the lines in one's palm, or the random happenstance occurrances that are interlinked, such as the beating of the butterfly's wings in Mongolia last spring and how the course of events resulted from that. Providence on the other hand is a belief that there is the Hand of the Divine moving and interacting with us and our circumstances and causing events that do not appear inevitable (though they may well be so).

It's like that book on your list- Wild at Heart- if you read it, then you know what I mean. I think God made us to live exciting, inspired lives, and that He is actively involved in bringing those things to pass, that He is committed to fulfilling His promises to us.

so there you go. and thanks for your comments on my blog too.

Memphis said...

I just got here, but this sounds pretty interesting. Much more so than my life.

J C said...

dennis - you're right, i was defining "fate" more like you (and maybe most people) are defining "Providence"

i believe in God and i believe that things happen for a reason - that He sets things up in a particular order for various reasons

i do not believe in your definition of "fate" - the stars determing things, or the moon, or astrology, or the lines in one's hand or the butterfly's wings in Mongolia affecting me here in NC

and yes, i do know what you mean - i've read "Wild at Heart" maybe 5 or 6 times now and believe just about every word Eldredge speaks. another of his books "Journey of Desire" is quite enlightening as well

i agree with your last paragraph - about what God made us for - 100%

steve - this "travel log" is from this past summer when I spent 2 months in Europe, not only learning about architecture and foreign cultures, but also about myself

hope you like it

The Doctor said...

By the way, Eldredge has another book out called Waking the Dead. Real nice.

J C said...

yep - read it already, hahah

you could say i'm a bit of a fan

other than the girl who recommended his books to me, i think you're the only person i've ran into who knows his stuff

that's cool

The Doctor said...

funny- I know of lots of people who know at least about Wild at Heart, but the others maybe not as well known. Good, but not well known.

I think that they helped me to realize that there is more to life than 8-5, 1.8 kids, second marriages (not that I've had one yet), mid-life crisis, and waiting around for death to show up. That's why I have to travel now. I want some of those things, but not the way society wants me to accept them. I don't know where that will take me, and that is kind of exciting.

J C said...

dennis - i'm with you on all that stuff

i don't have an IRA set up yet, society tells me i'm supposed to

but what if i don't even live to retirement? you've got to enjoy the journey - and i can't wait to do some more traveling

J C said...

steph - you didn't even comment about my post!!!

haha