Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Nothing

None of this matters. None of it at all.

I could visit every country in the world and experience first-hand the richest cultures known to man. I could learn all the most beautiful and oldest languages of the world. I could see with my own eyes every piece of coveted art that ever has been created. I could walk through all the most impressive and historical structures still standing. I could meet people from all the corners of the world and learn many, many things from them. I could call all the most prominent cities of the world "home". I could teach thousands and thousands of people and know them and touch their lives – and they could touch mine.

All of this could come to pass…and it would matter not. It would be for nothing.

Do you know why?

All of these things are blessings. Truly and completely – they are things to be cherished. However, they all lack one irreplaceable and essential component. For no matter how many breathtaking sights you see and places you visit…you will inevitably yearn for one thing: a companion by your side. Another soul to share in this beauty.

For without a companion to share these experiences with – they are worthless.

But with a companion, with your "ezer kenegdo", they are quite priceless.

Because at the end of the day – when I would lie my head down on my pillow at the end of another completed day - all I would be is a lonely man on a lonely journey…as I am now.

Again.

No comments: