Thursday, November 17, 2005

Control Vanishes

The most unexpected things happen in the most unexpected ways and in the most unexpected places. Don't they?

My vacation has brought me to a place where I never would have guessed I'd be. It's funny, really, how events play out and unfold - regardless of whether you want them to or not.

Somehow, the things which simply must happen, do. They are brought to light because that is as it was meant to be. We have far less control over this thing called life than many of us want to believe.

I'm again reminded of a quote that I have already spoke of on this blog a while back. I think it defines quite a lot about my life - and perhaps, a lot about yours, too. It is simple and short yet it speaks volumes. The best kind.

"You Don't Choose What You Love. It Chooses You."

3 comments:

morbid misanthrope said...

I generally refuse to believe we have limited control of our lives. While some things do happen for a reason, I will not relinquish control of my life to fate.

What you love may choose you, but you can choose to ignore it. Of course, this kind of decision is usually only made by people, much like myself, whose misanthropy and cynicism make love unimportant. Although I don’t know the extent of what you’re going through, and I can't really sympathize with you in this matter, I wish you the best.

J C said...

morbid - i understand, and am in no way saying that fate controls everything

obviously, we have choices to make every day of our lives, choices that sometimes effect us for years and years

however, in the whole scheme of things, i think we control much less than we would like to

and i hear you with regard to ignoring love and the things you love - that has never really worked for me, however

but i understand why one would react that way

in any event, i appreciate your words and support

J C said...

willow - i look at it differently

i can choose to SHOW my love for someone or something, but how can i choose WHAT i love?

i didn't choose to love acting, or architecture, or cars

i encountered those things and fell in love with them - my feelings are not my choice

what i do with those feelings, is

but clearly, you're doing better at this thing called life than i am - so what do i know