Wednesday, December 07, 2005

On the Road Again


Sevilla Cathedral at Night
Originally uploaded by uncsuperman.
A lot has happened over the last month. I have been preoccupied and distracted and maybe even a little lost. The last post about my journey this summer had me meeting Amanda in Malaga, Spain. Let's pick back up...


48 hours passed and I was leaving Malaga before I even knew I had arrived. My time with Amanda passed quickly but it was reassuring – what we had experienced in Valencia and Granada was not a fluke. It was real.

I missed her immediately but picked myself up by the bootstraps and jumped on a bus to Sevilla. Traveling between cities was, oddly enough, one of the best parts of my trip. I think it was the transition of it all. Sailing smoothly from one place to the next – physically, emotionally, spiritually. It gave each new place a context – a meaning.

Granada was more than a beautiful city. It was where Amanda and I were together. It was where my heart refused to be silenced. Cinque Terre was not simply the most amazing natural landscape I’d ever seen. It was my purification.

And so Sevilla was next. Abby had studied there for a semester. She sent me postcards and emails making claims of its beauty and splendor.

You don’t know who Abby is and you won’t find out, because she’s another long story to be told on a very lonely day. She got married this past summer while I was in Europe. Perhaps while I was visiting her city. It seems as if they’re all getting married.

Every time a destination was reached, an excitement rose inside of me. Excitement for something undiscovered. It must have been something of a glimpse of what Columbus or Ponce de Leon felt as they uncovered The New World. Or perhaps Lewis and Clark.

On a smaller scale, certainly. But isn’t it similar? All these places were new to me. They had yet to be discovered and searched and explored. Maybe others had already seen them. But I had not.

It was a feeling of being alive. Of truly living.

By now I was becoming quite adept at finding my way around these places. Maps were second nature and I’d grown unconcerned about whether people were around while I checked my maps. I’m a tourist – I am not ashamed.

Despite my failure to routinely do this, calling ahead to secure a place to stay was a really great idea. Thankfully, I had made this call back in Malaga and knew where I was going once in Sevilla. The hostel was run by an old but kind lady that spoke just slightly broken English. I found that places like this – hostels that weren’t big and commercial, but rather, small and locally run – gave much more of a true flavor for the place. They intensified the experience and I preferred it that way.

The weather gods had blessed me so far and continued to oblige. While America was battling her worst hurricane season in recent history, I was a million miles away under some of the bluest skies I’d ever seen. Sure, it was hot. But I’d rather sweat a little than be holed up inside while the rain and wind whip around outside.

As was my custom, I dumped my stuff in the room, took a breather and then headed out into the unknown. It was Sunday and the cathedral was open with free admission. I love free.

It is only the largest Gothic edifice ever constructed and the third largest cathedral in the world. Pause for a second and think about that, will you? Save for St. Peter’s in Rome and St. Paul’s in London – this cathedral is the largest in all the world. It took more than a century to build.

I love being awe-struck. When you’re awe-struck, you know you’re witnessing the pinnacle of something.

An astonishing athletic performance – Jordan’s 38 points in Game 5 of the 1997 NBA playoffs, including the 3-pointer that won the game. The night when, 5 minutes before the game, he was still lying in a dark room with a bucket nearby to handle his puking from food poisoning. The whole game, he looked as if he were on the verge of fainting.

Physical beauty – The most perfect smile you’ve ever seen in your entire life. So perfect, that the beauty of Cinque Terre pales in comparison. The way a girl’s ears fade into her neck. And her neck into her shoulders.

A feat of man – A structure so immense and intricate that you can’t help but wonder how a modern builder would go about creating this thing, much less a group of men in the year 1401.

Awe-inspiring. Beauty.

I love it.

5 comments:

morbid misanthrope said...

I've seen St. Paul's and it was quite impressive. I was also extremely blown away by Mt. Saint Michelle (especially during the rain storm at night when the tide came in and surrounded the castle). But by far, I was most impressed with the variety of Scotch at the Whisky Shop in Inverness, Scotland. It almost brought a tear to my eye, but if it would have, I would have had to kick my own ass.

J C said...

morbid - haven't seen St. Paul's but have visited St. Peter's quite extensively

nothing short of spectacular

this place was immense and it's difficult to describe it. i have pictures of the interior, but didn't turn out so well.

although I spent about a week in southern England this summer, I didn't do much sightseeing.

Britain and Scotland are definitely going to be on my itenerary next time around

no_average_girl said...

happened to find your blog and enjoyed your transparent writings.

just recently i came across "wild at heart" by j eldredge and after reading that one had to go thru "captivating", "sacred romance" and "the journey of desire". with the exception of the Word of God, i think the j eldedge books have opened my eyes more than any others.

i appreciate "brothers" that are willing to live lives thru desire and i encourage you to "win the battles"!

blessings!

J C said...

no_average_girl - glad you found us. eldredge does a wonderful job, doesn't he? wild at heart was my first book of his, recommended to me by a girl that i adored at the time. i've since read journey of desire and waking the dead. honestly - i think journey of desire hit home more than the others. i'd love to hear your opinion of captivating - i've yet to have a female friend read it.

and thank you for your words of encouragement.

JT - he's one of a kind, ain't he??

no_average_girl said...

hey J-definitely gonna get back to you with some detail on the "captivating".

"hold fast to your dreams"!