Friday, May 12, 2006

Feelin' Good

You know what's funny??

Well, perhaps not funny. Maybe "ironic" is the most accurate choice here.

What's ironic is how some things can be both really awesome and complete torture at the same time. As if this thing, or person, or whatever, has some sort of dual personality. Think about it - is there anything in your life that you love and dread simultaneously?

I have this student. Valeria. Don't say it how you would say it in English. Say it as if you were speaking a Romance language. Roll the "r". A little more emphasis on the "e". Perfect.

She's a Level 1 English student. Which is to say that she's not very advanced. She can form basic structures and converse if the other person uses a limited vocabulary and speaks slowly. She's a university student; whenever she needs to think about something, or look something up, she looks at me and says "Stop" - even if I'm not saying anything. She's hilarious. I have students from all across the spectrum - she is by far my favorite.

I know what you're thinking and you don't need to say anything. Sure, I've got this whole "just go for it" ideology built up here, but that ain't gonna fly in this situation. She's my student and nothing will happen while that holds true.

But this isn't about that. It's probably common opinion that I'm just a big ol' romantic who loves falling in love. Maybe. Or maybe I'm someone who just loves appreciating the things that should be appreciated.

Like the way one of Valeria's front teeth sticks out a little more than the other. Or the way Tara's hair looks like a big bundle of golden scrunchy-thingies when she pulls it back in a ponytail. Or the way Nicole used to kiss me right under my eye, on my cheekbone.

I feel good right now. I felt good riding the train back from work today. I felt proud of myself.

I think I'm gonna like it here.

5 comments:

Christa said...

Oh, J. You are incorrigible. Who needs so operas when we have you??? I can't wait to see who you fall in love with next. What show are those girls from, I think that's a more recent post??? You sound happy for the first post in forever. I am glad.

morbid misanthrope said...

You know what's better than falling in love? Shooting yourself in the nuts with a nail gun. It may hurt almost as much as love, but, at the very least, it's a lot safer. Have fun, but be careful. Oh yeah, bros before hos, and whatnot.

J C said...

christa - thanks for the encouragement. valeria is awesome. period. we have a lot of fun together in class, hence we are like 2 chapters behind where we should be. haha. i'm doing my best to keep it strictly professional, but trouble could be brewing. and yea, i am happy. it's been a tough work week, but other than that...i love it.

morbid - a nail gun to the nuts?? safer?? have you been sniffing glue again, morbid?? but thanks man...i appreciate it. i'm tryin to be safe, and i've made the mistake of "bros NOT before hoes" before, and won't make it again.

BD said...

What's ironic is how some things can be both really awesome and complete torture at the same time.

There are so many things I could apply this too...

J C said...

bd - i've started to encounter more and more of these things

perhaps that's the result of life becoming increasingly complex